Monday, June 1, 2009

June 1st, 2009- It's Your Favorite Missionary!











To My Dear Fam-Fam

Okay, well, first I do not have the H1N1 virus and no one in my district is sick. I don't know if they read the announcement yesterday or will this coming Sunday (we just heard it today), but as of this week they are asking parents to just drop their missionaries off and not come inside. This is to stop the spread of the H1N1 virus; I guess 3 missionaries have gotten sick and they are afraid of an outbreak because this is a breeding ground with so many people so close together. I am just glad that I reported last week instead of this week so that you could see me off! So, I am fine.

And the MTC is great.

I have TWO companions actually - the girl that was supposed to be my companion never showed up. I think she was going to get married. So instead they put me with another companionship, with Sister Bretzke and Sister Shepherd who are also new and going to my same mission. They are so great. All of us are really devoted to trying to be obedient and really diligent in our studies. We teach our first discussion this Saturday...partially in Chinese! It is going to be crazy. We are contacting for the first 15 minutes in Chinese. I'm not sure how it will go but...it will be fine, if not better. We have memorized our purpose in chinese (To invite others to come unto Christ by helping them accept the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, faith, repentence, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end), how to pray, how to bear testimony and sundry other things. Not bad for 5 days.

Then we will teach the first lesson in English. It is going to be great. I am excited. Our teacher told us if we focus on the investigators and not the Chinese itself then we will learn the language more quickly and not be frustrated.

I am rooming with 4 other girls - my companions and two other sisters also going to my mission. One of the girls was in my ward last year. I also see two friends from Study Abroad really often (- one is going to Spokane and the other to Croatia) It is really nice to have people you already know here.

Everyone tells you how much you will grow on your mission but people don't mention the fact that with growth comes "growing pains." It gets frustrating because we want to be so good and learn the language so quickly, but we have to accept that it will come slower than we want but faster than we expect. The first day was really rough, but it's gotten better every day.

Well, it's been great, send me letters, they make my day and I haven't heard from the family at all.

Love, Sister Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment