Monday, July 6, 2009

July 6th, 2009- Happy belated 4th of July!‏

So, this week commenced our All-Chinese portion of the MTC. It actually went really well. I can't believe how much better I have gotten in just a week! It is also really special because God knows that we are trying *so* hard, so even though our language was very simple, I could really feel the spirit as we practiced teaching. It was all in preparation for our First Lesson in Chinese on Saturday, which actually went really well. Because it was a holiday there were no volunteers so we taught one of the other classes teachers. He told his class afterword that we gave the best lesson he has ever been taught this early at the MTC. I think it had a lot less to do with our language skills than the fact that we decided to forget the lesson plan itself and just focus on the needs of him as an individual, what he needed to come unto Christ. We really felt the spirit.

So, Fourth of July! How was Michigan? I was thinking about the family :)

They had a special Fourth of July Fireside, which I am reluctant to talk about because it was such a painful experience. Pretty much, some of the older couple missionaries and mission presidency and their wives made a program with a video about key people that paved the way for America and for religious freedom. There were some ridiculous wigs involved and some of the acting was a bit over the top and many of the 19 year old boys could not handle it and were laughing. Yes, historically it was somewhat creative and cheesy, but it was obvious from the costumes to the elaborate greenscreens and the scripts that many people had put a lot of time into the production for us to enjoy. Oh, my heart just hurt for those cute old people when they they came onto the stage in their costumes after the video! I felt their discomfort from the previous laughter and it hurt me. I felt embarrassed to be a part of the group I am; the ingratitude and disrespect still makes me feel sick to my stomach. Oh, they tried so hard!

They let us stay up and watch the fireworks from the Stadium of Fire. It was great but I am still yawning! I was still up at 6:30 and a full day yesterday.

Oh yes, and Daddy, Elder O'Neil told me to say thank you for your service in the Green Berets. He is obsessed with the military so I told him about you and he was impressed and asked me to pass the message along.

Hmm, I still have five minutes, what else! So, as part of learning Chinese we are supposed to use what we know 100% of the time. So we called four-square "si-square" (si means four in Chinese). Some clever person changed it to siwang which is a halarious pun in chinese because it means death... Hmm, I'm not sure the humor translates, but we find it halarious here at the MTC. Also, I played with the Elders for the first time and made king 3 times. All those years on the playground just paid off :)

Alright, have a great week, LOVE you!

FML - Sister Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment